Click on a beer glass for more information
In 1793, John Patteson purchased Charles Greaves' brewery in Pockthorpe. Before acquiring the James Beevor and Jehosophat Postle brewery in Norwich and Fisher's North Quay Brewery in Yarmouth. After more acquisitions the company was registered as Steward & Patteson Ltd in July 1895. More acquisitions followed until Steward & Patteson were acquired by Watney Mann Ltd in 1963. At the time, they owned 632 pubs and operated breweries at Norwich and Ely. Brewing ceased in January 1970 and most of the buildings demolished shortly afterwards. However Watney Mann continued brewing S&P beers at Morgans Brewery until the mid 1980s.
In July 2013 the S&P micro brewery located in Horsford, Norwich opened and the brand was resurrected.
Some of the Brewery's Range
Steward & Patteson Best Bitter -
Steward & Patteson Stout -
Steward & Patteson Stingo -
Over the years the brand identity is updated and re-launched with subtle changes, a change of Logo or a new font.
Sometimes this brand update is done by the new owners after a brewery has been sold, other times just to give the brand a fresh new look on the ever growing market.
Below are some notes to help identify some of these changes and an aid to reference the year of the glass.
Steward & Patteson Logo