Click on a beer glass for more information
Federation Breweries Ltd was established in 1919 by working men's clubs in the north east of England to supply their clubs with better and cheaper beer than regional breweries of the day. After the purchase of an unsuitable site in Alnwick, Northumberland, they purchased and began production at the JH Graham's brewery site in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1921. Demand led to a move in 1931 within the city with the purchase of John Buchanan's brewery site in Hanover Square. In 1980 that site closed after production was transferred to a new purpose built facility across the river in Dunston, Gateshead. In 2004 Scottish & Newcastle acquired the Northern Clubs Federation Brewery in Gateshead. Five years later Scottish & Newcastle closed the brewery and moved all production to Tadcaster, North Yorkshire.
Some of the Brewery's Range
LCL Pils - First brewed in 1977. Sold to S&N in 2004 then to Thwaites in 2007
Over the years the brand identity is updated and re-launched with subtle changes, a change of Logo or a new font.
Sometimes this brand update is done by the new owners after a brewery has been sold, other times just to give the brand a fresh new look on the ever growing market.
Below are some notes to help identify some of these changes and an aid to reference the year of the glass.