Click on a beer glass for more information
Founded in 1769 by farmer Joseph Leroy, the brewery only sold its beer to the workers in the farm and to the inhabitants of the town of Pipaix where the brewery was installed. In 1931, the brothers Alfred and Amédéé Dubuisson, descendants of Joseph Leroy, decided to abandon the farm and to concentrate on the production of beer. The beers were meant to be a mix of English and Belgian beers (due to the growing success of English beers at the time), so the name of the beer was English (Bush) and the production method used both English and Belgian techniques. They originally chose the English name "Bush"as a translation of their own name (buisson, in French, is "bush") as part of their attempt to enter the British market in the 1930s.
The current brewery is still located at the same place and still owned by the Dubuisson family. In addition to the original brewery in Pipaix, the brewery has, since 2000, started two microbreweries, one in Louvain la Neuve and one in Mons.
Some of the Brewery's Range
Cuvée Des Trolls - Frist brewed in 2000
Bush de Noel - Introduced in 1991
Bush blonde - First brewed in 1998
Surfine - First brewed in 1933 and marketed until the 1950s. It had a rebirth in 2014
Over the years the brand identity is updated and re-launched with subtle changes, a change of Logo or a new font.
Sometimes this brand update is done by the new owners after a brewery has been sold, other times just to give the brand a fresh new look on the ever growing market.
Below are some notes to help identify some of these changes and an aid to reference the year of the glass.